If you love the entertainment industry, Key Publishing Group has the editorial job for you!
KPG is seeking a Managing Editor for Make-Up Artist magazine. This is a department head position that manages the editorial department and reports to, and works closely with, the Publisher to create compelling content across print and digital platforms, including social media. Make-Up Artist also produces the International Make-Up Artist Trade Show (IMATS), held six times annually in Los Angeles; New York; Vancouver, B.C.; London, Toronto and Sydney.
– Generating story ideas and themed issues, assigning stories, negotiating/labeling photos
– News, column and occasional feature writing
– Editing, fact-checking and proofing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, logic, clarity and house style
– Creating/maintaining deadlines among magazine, printer and distribution
– Managing an international pool of freelance writers and photographers
– Writing and editing IMATS collateral (show programs, signage, press releases, etc.)
– Managing freelance budgets for print and web
– Creating/tracking social media posts
– Organizing the IMATS student make-up competition six times annually; maintaining correspondence with schools and students
– Representing KPG at industry events
– Maintaining email lists: press, artists and agencies, schools, unions, writers, companies
– Updating magazine archives and contact lists
– Maintaining and updating inhouse editorial style
– Industry research and correspondence
To be considered, candidates MUST:
– Have a degree in journalism or English
– Have a superb command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and composition
– Be able to edit for logic, clarity and house style; research and fact-checking skills are also paramount
– Be able to manage constant overlapping deadlines and last-minute changes
– Have a strong work ethic and work well in collaboration with others
– Be organized/friendly/patient/persistent, with a robust sense of humor
Our ideal candidate will have:
– Familiarity with the make-up industry
– Marketing/PR/social media experience
– Fluency in a language other than English
– A love for traveling
Key Publishing Group provides:
– A competitive salary
– Medical benefits
– Dental benefits
– A 401K plan
About Make-Up Artist magazine:
Make-Up Artist is a trade magazine for professional make-up artists and is read in more than 70 countries around the world. It was founded in 1996 by Emmy Award-winning make-up artist Michael Key with the vision to educate, connect and inspire artists and make-up lovers around the world.
About Key Publishing Group:
KPG produces the highest quality magazine, websites, digital content and events. The company is recognized as a leader in professional make-up artistry by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, major film studios and global cosmetic companies. We work with the most talented and successful artists in the world. Our team delivers unparalleled value for our business partners. KPG’s combined social media reach is over one million.
If you would like to be part of this culture of excellence, we invite you to explore this career opportunity and see how your talent and aspirations might fit within Key Publishing Group. Visit http://keypublishinggroup.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @Makeupartistmag.
To apply, please send three to five published clips of your work, along with a résumé, cover letter and three professional references. Candidates will be required to take an editing test.
For more information, check out our website at makeupmag.com. Absolutely no phone calls.